Friday, May 25, 2012

REWIND: Big Brother


You know, in that last week before Adelyn was born, it started to hit me that those were the last days it would ever be just Robby.... my only child with all of the attention. I started to think if there was anything I should do with him one last time-- or for the first time-- that I would never be able to do with him again in the same way. I almost started to feel bad, like it was selfish of me to be bringing another child into the family instead of just giving him all of the attention his whole life.

I started to have those feelings that my parents had always told me about-- it was hard for me to imagine loving a new baby as much as I loved my little Robby. I liked what my dad said to me the week before Adelyn was born. "It's strange, that second one, 'cause the first one is so new and ovrwhelming. You wonder if you could ever love the second like the first, but.... You find it's almost like adding more makes your love for the whole family expand."

Here we are, the night before the induction.  Trying to get a picture of me and the belly, but Robby didn't want to get out of the picture :) He wanted to be by me. He had become so clingy those last couple of weeks. Like some how a part of him knew how much things really were about to change.

And, change definitely came.


A whole 8 pounds and 6 ounces of change.

But, I still loved my Robby boy-- although it did take a couple of weeks to convince him of that.
He would insist that I didn't love him. "Daddy loves me. But you love baby Adelyn."
Seriously....
How sad is that?
Yes...I cried.


I was eventually able to convince him (with a little help from the LDS Children's song "We are a Happy Family"... you know... "I love mommy, she loves me. We love sister, yes sirree. She loves us and so you see, we are a happy family.") that it was possible for us to
all love each other.

I felt so bad that he had felt like I didn't love him. I mean, I really did have to devote a lot of my time to baby sister. Poor kid.  But, even though for the first little while Robby apparently felt like he had been "replaced" by his little sister--
he still loved her from the very start.


It has been so fun to watch him interact with her.
To see how he loves her.
To watch how she has come to adore him.

When Adelyn was only about a week old, I caught this cute video.  Robby was just up there carefully wedging his way between Adelyn and the back of the couch.









When Adelyn was just a couple of weeks old, she was laying on my bed while I was getting my clothes out of my closet. She started crying a little and I heard Robby walk in and say "I will give her a hug." A few seconds later I realized she wasn't crying anymore and I looked over and Robby had picked her up!
...And she was perfectly happy. Haha.

                 Gave me a little heart attack, but it was cute to see how he wanted to help her be happy. He does that a lot--try to cheer her up when she cries.


Another time, Adelyn was on the love sac chilling but eventually wasnt happy there anymore. Soon Robby was over there reading Five Little Monkeys to her
Obviously, she didn't quite calm down as readily this time. But, he still just kept on reading!








One morning, Robby was watching Veggie Tales. I set Adelyn down next to him and he reached over and put his arm around her and pulled her over close to him. :)






Adelyn's first time eating from a bottle.
Robby was so excited to be the one to feed her.


Robby is a great big brother.
And Adelyn adores him.




Mother's Day 2012

1 comments:

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com