Friday, August 22, 2008

White Coat



Today was Steve's white coat ceremony. What is that, you ask?


"The white coat ceremony (WCC) is a relatively new ritual in some medical, veterinary medical, podiatric, optometry and pharmacy schools that marks the student's transition from the study of preclinical to clinical health sciences. At some schools, where students begin meeting patients early in their education, the white coat ceremony is held before the first year begins.
WCCs typically involve a formal "robing" or "cloaking" of students in white coats
, the garb physicians have traditionally worn for over 100 years and other health professions have adopted." (thanks wikipedia)

So, today, after sitting through a VERY long convocation and ceremony... Steve was dressed in his white coat!


He now looks like a real med student. He will be starting school on Monday.
I am so proud of Steve and this great accomplishment of becoming a medical student. I know these next years won't be easy, but I know that he will do well and I look forward to the journey that awaits us. He's such a cute little doctor-to-be!



After they were "cloaked" in their white coats, all the students stated their pledge of ethics. I don't really expect you to read it, but for anyone who is interested (and for my own record keeping) this is what it said:

Medical Student Pledge of Ethics
I publicly acknowledge and accept the privileges and responsibilities given to me today as a physician in training and dedicate myself to provide care to those in need.
I will approach all aspects of my education with honesty and integrity, embracing opportunities to learn from patients, teachers, and colleagues.
I will always maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
I will certify only that which I have personally verified, and I will neither receive nor give unauthorized assistance on examinations.
I will value the knowledge and wisdom of the physicians who have preceded me.
I will recognize my weaknesses and strengths and strive to develop those qualities that will earn the respect of my patients, my colleagues, my family, and myself.
I will respect eh humanity, right and decisions of all patients and will attend to them with compassion and without bias.
I will maintain patient confidentiality and be tactful in my words and actions.
I will value the diversity of patients' experiences, cultures and beliefs because it enhances my ability to care for them and enriches my education.
I will not forget that there is an art to medicine as well as a science and that warmth, sympathy and understanding are integral to patient care.
I will strive to earn the trust my patients place in me and the respect that society places upon my profession.
I will recognize the privileges afforded to me as a physician-in-training and promise not to abuse them.
Even as a student I have a responsibility to improve the standard of health in my community, to increase access to care for the underserved and to advance medical knowledge.
As I accept these new responsibilities, I will not forget the importance of my own health and well-being.
I will continue to value my relations with those who have supported me in the past and those who will share in my future.
Knowing my own limitations and those of medicine, I commit myself to a lifelong journey of learning how to cure, relieve and comfort with humility and compassion.
I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.

12 comments:

Jared & Melisa said...

woooooooo! Check out that dude in his white coat. He should be on the cover of GQ magazine. No really Steve, that is sweet. Good for you, your hard work is beginning to pay dividends. You'll be a great Physician!

Cami said...

Good Job Steve! Did he enjoy his photo shoot? You took some good pics Jenni! :)

Unknown said...

Steve you look ok, but Jenni is Hot!

Rachael said...

That is a mouthful, do you have to memorize that? Looking good Steve. If I didn't know it was for school I would think you were ready to take my order. ;)

JMe said...

"Hooray for Uncle Steben!" Lookin good, dude! We are excited for you to get started! (We still miss you guys tho!)

Karen said...

Congratulations!! You'll make a great doctor, Steve. Just remember that nurses are your friends :)

Cynthia said...

I remember that day 6 years ago when my hubby went through that. It really is a big step knowing they are finally going to start medical school. Congrats! It will go faster (and slower at times) than you expect, but it'll be a fun ride!
I like the format of the pic of Steve- you do a great job with editing your photography.

grammanisey said...

Steve! You're finally on your way! We couldn't be more proud of you, your hard work, and accomplishments! Good luck as you begin school this week. You know that our prayers are always with you and Jenni. We look forward to hearing about your adventures in Medical School! Love you much! :/ (Remember that's the sideways head smile!)

Blaine said...

OH the white coat ceremony! I went to my Brother-in-law's when he was starting medical school and it was slightly hilarious the way they personify the white coat. Afterward my brother-in-law kept joking "may this white coat be a symbol of the whiteness in your life," and so on. That is so cool for you guys! We miss you!

Bean said...

Ok We have had to watch those pictures on the slide show 10,000 times! I am not kidding! Emery makes us play it and play it and play it!!!! We had her down stairs last night watching it and Jamie left the room for a little bit and when she came back Emery was sittlig in the computer chair bawling her eyes out. She could barely talk but when she did she said "I miss Uncle Steben" Then she just started bawling again. It seriously tooke like 1/2 an hour to calm her down. We really need to give you guys a call and have uncle Beave talk to her. I think that she thinks he is dead or something cause it is some serious drama lately. Would that be ok if we called?

Halverson Talk said...

Wow.... I can totally see a future Dr Toller ;o) It is so awesome! We just watched Patch Addams yesterday! I bet he will be a great Dr!!!I am so proud of both of you!!!! Good luck!!!

jean toller said...

Steven, Of course everyone can leave their comments on this subject, but you know I will be the very proudest of you. (and Jenni) I can't believe you are where you are now in your life. Seems like yesterday you were running around the house giggling and playing with GI Joe guys and sliding them down the stairs on a string. Ok enough mushy stuff. You know I love you and am very proud of you! MOM