Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What is that.....???

We were stopped at a stop light yesterday and Steve says "What is that???" At first I had no idea what he was talking about. My attention was finally drawn to an animal grazing in the grass off to the side of the road. Now, out west I've seen cats, dogs, deer, foxes, racoons and the like...but this animal was not anything I had ever seen just wandering town. And the question remains...... "What was that......????" My first reaction was that it looked like a beaver without the big flat tail. Steve pointed out that it looked somewhat like a prairie dog, but it was much too big and fat. After doing a little research online, I have one guess of what it probably was.....a groundhog/woodchuck. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy enough to take a picture of the animal we saw. But, this is a picture of a groundhog I found online and I'm pretty sure that is the same animal we saw. What a funny animal....

4 comments:

Cami said...

looks like a groundhog to me, we used to have those in our yard when we lived in oregon :)

Jon said...

Yup, we've got one near our apartment. They're pretty cute, but don't hang around for anyone to get up close.

Rachael said...

Hey you guys really need to check-out Jesse's (eviction) Blog. He might get his feeling hurt if you don't.

Bean said...

Ahhhh yes, it appears to be your coommon marmota monax. If it were to be a smaller rodent I would assume differently as various types of ground squirrel are abundant in your area