Monday, October 20, 2008

Good Times


Last Saturday, we took a trip to Kirtland, Ohio (about 2 1/2 hours away). The missionaries in our area were taking a trip there and taking investigators with them. Steve is a ward missionary, so we were invited as well. (I'm sure anyone was invited... but.. yeah... we went.) Anyway, it was a neat experience.
Kirtland was the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1831-1838. The Saints gathered there one year after the church was organized by Joseph Smith in Palmyra, New York. Anyway, it is a neat little historic place where many things from church history took place. The first temple was built here.

And it still stands today. It is now owned by the "Community of Christ" Church. But, we were able to take a tour inside and learn a bit about it.

There is a Historic Kirtland little town where there are some replicated buildings and also some originals still there. Newel K. Whitney's original store is still standing, and they have it restored to its 1830's condition.

It was so neat to go into this building-- to walk through the same exact door Joseph Smith walked through... to walk on the same floor board that Joseph Smith and several other well known early church members walked on........ to go upstairs and sit in the room where Joseph received several of the revelations now found in the Doctrine and Covenants...... to walk through rooms where Joseph and Emma lived for a while.... very cool.

It was also very beautiful there and all the fall leaves were amazing.


Speaking of cool leaves... this is a tree out in front of our house, right across the street....


Wow.... Quite red/orange! I love it.

Other events of the week.... hmm..... OH! I am still working at Shoe Carnival, but as of this week, I am now only working part-time! Hooray! So much nicer to not work 40 hours a week... I now only work Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 8:30 t0 5. So, no more nights (YAY! I used to work Monday and Wenesday until 9:30...yuck...) I am less stressed now and so much happier. Not that you'd think working at a shoe store would really be that stressful....but I dunno... some how I manage to stress myself out a bit too much. And right now, I am trying to eliminate added stress that seems to result in such side-effects as poor health and depression..... ANYWAY! Moving on.

This week, I got to babysit Madison twice (the baby from upstairs).
I brought out some "friends" for her to play with. It was good to see them getting some use, and Madison seems to enjoy them.

I am glad that Jenny and Jake let me play with her and watch her. It is so fun for me and lets me get a little taste of having a little one and being able to stay home with them.

6 comments:

grammanisey said...

How fun that you got to go to Kirtland! I want to go when I come there! Those place are fun to visit and, like you said, get a feel for the early saints' lives. The orange tree is beautiful and look at little Madison and all her friends. So cute! Dad said remember that one time when we took a trip and went to Nauvoo? That was cool, huh? Oh! and guess what the word verification word that I had to type in was? karmari Weird huh? Like Kahri mari. lol Dad said it was a sign. Of what I don't know. He thought that you had rigged it somehow! :)

Unknown said...

how come i never get to play with the bears?
-STEVE

Mike Kirkham said...

Cool trip. Cool orange leafies. Cool Blog. I MISS MY JENNI, and Steve too. Jenni, for cryin out loud, let Steve play with the bears? Just make sure he doesn't have a scalpel. Hey, Jen does Steve smell like formaldehyde?
Hey it is true that the word verification was karmari, I KID YOU NOT !!!!!

Megan said...

Kirtland! fun! I'm a stresser too, good for you eliminating some of the stress. I miss my Jenaynee, those orange tree flars are beautiful! What a cute little chub muffib, Kyler is jealous that she gets to play with the bears and he doesn't get to chuck them off the stairs.

Rachael said...

Those pictures are beautiful Jenny. Oh... I have to tell you, I have never seen a Shoe Carnival before, ever. Well until we went to Logan. They have one right next to the Hobby Lobby up there. It made me think of you.

Idontcare said...

Aw I'm so jealous! I'm going to come visit you.... sorry about Chi-CAH-gee.... :) It was a two day quick trip, so I didn't really get to to much fun stuff, but I did eat a $40.00 piece of chocolate cake, on the company of course! :)