Monday, March 10, 2008

Traveling the World

Steve is in Ohio today for his interview. As of last night, he said everyone was very friendly and welcoming to him. Hopefully all goes well.

My mom and I are thinking about venturing out to Italy next week. We are thinking we'll go to Rome for a few days. I mean, this is probably the only time I'll ever be in Europe, so I should probably take advantage of that and go the added short distance to one of the most historically saturated destinations in the world! We'll see if we end up going.... Anyone else ever been there? Any suggestions?


I'm sorry, I'm sorry.... I know all this talk of traveling Europe isn't very nice.... Surely it causes some envy and jealousy in a few of you. So, here, this should give you a little taste of the Swiss countryside.... make it feel/sound like you're really here.....:


Notice the time on the clock.... those bells started ringing at 2:15...... Lovely eh? As unbelievable as it may seem, you really do get used to it. I hardly notice them ringing anymore. It will probably be strange when I come back to Utah and don't have bells ringing on the hour, every 15 minutes, and for extend periods of time at 6 am, 11 am, 2:15, and 6pm. Oh the joys of living in a little Swiss village....

5 comments:

I am Chree-uz. said...

ROME?? Aw man...I wanna go to Rome... If only I could teleport there like in "Jumper"

Bean said...

I want to see Jumper! Is it good? Anyways I would assasinate that bell in the tower by your sister's house. It would tick me off! Glad you are havin a good time. I know steve misses ya. Have fun! Eat some Brauts!

Jon said...

You don't know me, but I met your husband this weekend in Ohio (he's a great guy by the way). My name is Jon and I am a med student at Toledo, and also served my mission in Zurich and tracted the village your in quite a few times.

Anyway, as for travel tips in Europe, Rome is awesome, but don't drive there, take a train. Italians are notoriously crazy drivers, and the street signs in Italy are bound to get you lost.

If you'd like some fun spots to the North, Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria is a lot of fun and incredibly beautiful, as are Salzburg and Vienna in Austria.

Anyway, my wife and I hope you and Steve decide to come here. Our blog is jonandkeriann.blogspot.com if you want some perspective on life and med school in Toledo, with links to the blogs of a lot of the other med students in the ward and their families.

If we can answer any questions for you, Steve has our email. Say hello to the Altstetten ward from Elder Felt if you get a chance.

JMe said...

I'm glad you are having fun! Switzerland looks beautful and it looks like you are having fun. Your new neice is gorgeous and I seriously LOVE her name. Be safe! See you one of these days!

Ruth said...

Did you end up going to Rome yet? If not, I say for sure do it! We just went for Christmas this year. My suggestions would be to stay in a hotel close to a train station. Take worn-in walking shoes. Definitely don't drive. Be ready to eat delicious pizza. Take extra batteries for your camera. And make sure you know opening/closing times for places of interest. That's one thing that's been hard to get used to living in Europe. Everything seems to close early. We tried to go to the Roman Forum but missed it by 15 minutes! If you venture out to the Vatican, believe all the travel books that say the lines are horrendous! GO EARLY if you want to get inside the chapel and/or museum! Have lots of fun!!!