Friday, April 4, 2008

Just when I thought MY life was rough...

It seems whenever I start feeling like my trials are too much for me to handle... I get an awakening and realize that my problems really aren't that bad.

This evening I received a call from my parent's house. Several things about what I heard on the other end of the line caught me off guard. For one, my dad doesn't just call me that often. Second of all, my dad sounded very... urgent, almost frantic.
"Jen, it's dad. I have to tell you something......"
Then came the sobbing. And my dad doesn't cry often. Several terrifying thoughts ran through my head..... something happened to mom...... or one of my brothers.... maybe Grandpa died......
"Brantly commit suicide."
I had to sit down. This couldn't be real.
"He shot himself. Depression...."
I tried think of some way this could just be a sick late april fools joke. But, I knew it wasn't.

My 18 year old cousin Brantly commit suicide today. You never think of those things really happening.... they are just stories..... until someone close to you does it. I still keep thinking I'll wake up and find it was all a dream..... a nightmare. But when I convince myself this is reality.... I feel physically ill....
My extended family is all very close. We aren't one of those families that dreads getting together with the aunts and uncles and cousins and doesn't know anyone's names. We have close relationships... some of my best friends are my cousins. Brantly was the oldest son of my Dad's brother-- a really GOOD kid. So nice. Really shy and quiet for the most part, yet friends with everyone. He's one of those people who'd never done a bad thing in his life. I never would have imagined......... I can't even imagine what my aunt and uncle are going through right now.... My prayers are with them and the rest of the family.

I just hope that YOU (anyone reading this) never feel low enough that you think you need to take your life. Depression is a hard thing. Believe me, I know.... I've taken medication for it before myself. And I don't think anyone should ever feel like there is anything wrong with taking medication or seeking help for depression. It is real. It is hard. And if you let it go too far... it can be devastating..... I don't judge Brantly for doing what he did. Who knows what he was going through.... I just don't ever want to see another friend or loved one come to such extremes......

5 comments:

Brendo2008 said...

Jenni, My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family!

My mom pasted away last month on 3-11 -08 of Alzheimers. It's still a hard to think that she is gone, but I am getting better now. Mother's day is not going to be easy on me!

Marianne said...

Hi Jenni. I found your blog on Steph's blog. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard this must be. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Erin said...

Hey Jenni and Steve, I found your blog the other day and am finally taking time to comment, like I've been meaning to. I love being able to keep up with old friends, and in this case through the good and the bad. May the Lord strengthen both of you during this very difficult time. You're two of the most spiritual people I've ever met and I'm glad to have the chance to know you both.

It'll be neat to see where Steve ends up for medical school, and even neater to see how being at wherever it is blesses your lives. I'm excited to keep in touch with you guys! (This is Erin Berryessa)

Karly said...

Sorry for your loss. I can not imagine what you and your family are going through with the loss of your cousin. Our prayers are with all of you.

your old neighbor,
nick

Brook Parker said...

Jenni,
Hey sweetheart, I just wanted to let you know how truly sorry I am that you and your family is going through this. I know there is nothing i can say or do to take away the pain that your feeling, but just know that Aaron and I are praying for you guys. My heart goes out to you and your family. Lots and Lots of hugs coming your way. If you ever need to talk or anything, im here to listen. I dont give very good advice, but Im a pretty good listener. Im so sorry to hear this hun, Love you!If you need anything at all, dont hesitate to ask.